Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Kylie Jade

Kylie Jade Erickson
7 pounds 2 ounces
December 20, 2012 at 243 pm

Alright so it has now been close to two weeks since Kylie has joined our family so I figure I better sit down and write down her birth story before I forget! Ps. It is really long.

I finished work on December 6 and from that point on I was ready to have this baby. That weekend I finished up my sewing projects, and on Monday I cleaned and cleaned! I'm talking washed walls, dusted, vacuumed, deep cleaned both bathrooms, finished all the laundry, and cleaned areas that haven't been touched in months. I was ready, I wanted to meet this baby! I had been checked and was 2 cm dilated at the point so I thought my body was ready and just needed a jump start!! That night, under the direction of my mother and sister in law, I downed 4 tablespoons of castor oil in some orange juice! That was about 8-9 at night, and about 12:30-1 am I started to feel to effects of the castor oil.....just not the ones I wanted. Haha!! I was up all night using the bathroom, I had a full system clean out. Not something I would recommend doing. I was just so anxious/nervous to have this baby and wanted it to come now. Plus I was super scared to that I would have the baby on Christmas Eve or day and miss all the celebrations. But more so I didn't want my baby to have a Christmas Day birthday. I know to most it may not be a big deal, and it was to me.
After that night I decided to chill out and not worry about when the baby would come. That attitude worked until about the 18th of December. Than I was done. I prayed and prayed for this baby to come and every day that it didn't I got frustrated. I worried that I my body didn't know how to go into labour (I was induced with Nicholas, after my water broke, but I never had a contraction until they gave my oxytocin). I was a crazy pregnant women. I was sick, my body ached, I had no appetite, was nauseated 24/7, and plain miserable!! Just ask Zac!! Haha! Zac was a really awesome and supportive and helped me a lot. We walked the university several times that week. Nick and Zac would ride the elevator and I would do the stairs and race them up and down. Haha!! I forgot how brutal those stairs are!
On Wednesday the 19th night I got a recipe from a friend for a drink that is suppose to put you in to labour. It had castor oil in it and I was a little worried about that. I didn't want to be sick again. But Zac was supportive and told me to do it. I mixed this drink up and drank it about 10:30 pm. In the recipe it said that you would start to feel contractions within two hours and if not then drink it again in 5 hours. I went to bed that night a bit skeptical that I would wake up in the morning still pregnant and nothing would happen. Well I was wrong I woke up about 1:30 with really light contractions. I was pretty excited and tried to go back to sleep. But they kept coming every 2-3 minutes. They weren't strong or painful just more annoying. I couldn't sleep so I laid in bed resting for a while, then I got up and sat on my exercise ball for a while, then went a showered and got dressed. At about 5 am I decided that we should probably go to the hospital. We called my dad and he headed over to stay with Nick. Zac and I stayed at the hospital until about just after seven when they sent me home and told me I was in early labour. I was pretty upset. I thought for sure that this baby was going to come. I went and laid down to have a rest. I told Zac that he should wake me up around 10:30 and we would go walk around some more to get things going. I fell asleep for about an hour and then woke up with the worst contraction ever (ok probably not the worst, more shocking). It was pretty crazy.
Zac left me at home while he took nick over to my dads house so Marlene could watch him. I thought I was doing ok while Zac was gone. I laid on the exercise ball and breathed through them. While Zac was gone I went to the bathroom and was surprised to find a lot of blood. It freaked me out a little. As soon as Zac got back home he called labour and delivery. They told us to head back in to be checked out. We got there and they put me back on the monitors. They monitored me for a whole, then the nurse checked me and I was 4-5 cm dilated. I was pretty excited cause I knew they weren't going to send us home!! The nurse asked me if I would like anything for pain and I told her an epidural. I was going to try and do it without but I really needed to have a rest cause I had been up all night. At 11:30 I was put into a delivery room and right after was given the epidural. It was beautiful!! I rested, and Zac went and grabbed something to eat. Just after 1 pm the nurse checked me and told me I was 9cm but she was going to call the doctor to come in and break my water and then I have a baby soon after. Just before 1:30 the doctor was there and broke my water and assured me that I wouldn't have to work as hard for this baby as I did for nick, as did the nurse! Haha!! Boy were they wrong!! I pushed and pushed and pushed. They catheterized me thinking that it was my bladder in the way but after that didn't work, I kept pushing and pushing and pushing. Finally after about an hour and a half of pushing our baby was out. Everything felt like slow motion. this baby was laying on the bed, the umbilical cord was right between the legs and it felt like forever before the doctor moved it and we saw that we had a baby GIRL!! Zac and I were both pretty happy. We fell instantly in love with this little girl. I held her for a minute then they took her to get cleaned up, assessed, and weighed. The reason I had to push so long was because she decided to come out looking side-ways, little stinker! Haha!!
We stayed in the delivery room for a couple hours then I showered and we were taken to mat/child. My mom and Del, Scott and Susie, and Nicholas were some of our first visitors. Later that evening Brandon and Amy came, and my dad and Marlene.
Zac took nick home then came back later that evening so that we could decide on a name. Kylie was last on the list of 3 names but after trying out the other names we both knew that she was a Kylie. Kylie and I both slept that night and a quiet morning the next day. No one came to visit which was nice to rest and cuddle my new baby. Later that afternoon Zac and nick came to pick us up. We had to wait for the lab to come draw Kylie's blood then we were out of there.
Kylie is such a good baby. She eats really well, and sleeps like a champ. She had been jaundice so I still have to wake her up quite frequently to eat. She is getting better, not quite so yellow, every day. We love her so much and are excited she joined our family.
Nicholas has been pretty good with her. he has his moments where we have to remind him to be gentle but he is only a two year old boy. He always is giving her her doll and giraffe. Every morning he wakes up asking where the baby is. He also tries to wake her up for her "milk." Babe wake up milk. Baby all done milk. He's pretty cute. He will do things for the baby but not always for mom or dad. He loves her and is already pretty protective. He wasn't to found of the health nurse touching his baby and stood right beside kylie the whole time the nurse was here.
Well thats the story of Kylie's arrival!!









4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!!! Kylie is the bomb.

kelsey said...

Congrats you guys! I can't believe you drank that much castor oil, but I was with you on not wanting the Christmas birthday either! The things we do for these babies . . . I'm glad something worked and she decided to come for you. She's beautiful.

Kristen Gibb said...

Hilary!! You have two babies now!? Congrats!! Kylie is so cute. And I just about died when I saw the picture of little Nicholas holding her!!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog. I love it!!! I'm sorry I was the one to encourage the castor oil the first time :)
I'm so glad all is well. She is such a beautiful baby and you are such a great mom.