By this time I was so sick and hadn't ate anything in days that I didn't have much milk so we were having to supplement Nick. I spend New Year's Eve laying in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV, puking my guts out. It was a great start to the year!! We initially thought that Zac and Nicholas would stay in the hospital room with me, but I couldn't feed Nick and a crying baby in a little hospital room is not a nice sound. Nicholas just wanted me to rock and cuddle him, but because I was so weak and nauseated I couldn't. Nicholas and Zac went out to his moms were Grandma Susie helped out for the next week.
I was admitted on friday and waited until Tuesday afternoon for my ERCP. Because I was waiting for this procedure I wasn't allowed to eat, which wasn't that hard because I was nauseated. The stone was causing the bile to back up into my stomach so I constantly was puking bile. An ERCP is a procedure that were they put a tube down your throat, into the stomach and small intestine. Using dye they find the common bile duct and remove the stone. They sedate you, so really its not bad at all. After that was done I felt so much better. I was rarely nauseated, and was actually hungry. However, I was on the wait list for surgery to get my gall bladder out so I still could not eat anything. On Wednesday, the surgeon visited me and I was told that I would have surgery that day. I waited and waited and waited. By 530 that night I still had not had surgery. I was starting to get really frustrated because I wanted to be home with my family. I started to get really grumby, and was kinda rude to the nurses. Finally the told me that they had just talked to the surgeon and he had me booked for 900 that night. 900 came and went, and I was still not in surgery. At 1000 the nurse finally came and told me that I was not going to have surgery that evening. I was so mad that I started to cry. They finally let me eat something. All I wanted was jello, but they didn't have any so I had a half a piece of toast, and a couple sips of a carnation breakfast drink. This was a really bad idea! I was sick that night and in so much pain. Again I was NPO after midnight. The next day I was finally taken for surgery just after 1200, I waited in the pre op hold for about an hour before I was taken in to the OR. I was back in recovery by about 330, and to my room by 430. I was so thirsty that all I wanted was a huge drink of ice cold water. Felt so good after surgery. I got up right away and peed, so that I could go home. I was discharged that night!! It was the happiest day ever!! One week in the hospital, two surgeries later, and i was finally on the mend!!
I couldn't lift over 10 pounds for 2 weeks so my mom came to my house every day while Zac was at school to help with Nicholas. Nicholas took back to nursing, and my milk supply finally came back. I was really relieved. I love breast feeding and I was not ready to quite. It was a struggle at times and we still had to supplement with formula, but about 3 weeks later I was back in the game, and Nicholas was getting enough from me, and we quite supplementing. I hadn't lost my supply totally, I tried to pump about twice a day while in the hospital, and every day when Nicholas came to visit I would try to feed him, even though he wasn't getting much, his suckling helped to keep my supply up.
A month has past, and everything is finally back to normal. I feel great, and Nicholas is doing awesome. I really learned a lot during this trial, as did Zac. I was so grateful for amazing family members that stepped in and helped to care for Nicholas. He spend a lot of time with the Grandmas. I am so thankful for a loving husband who was so helpful, and caring. I am so grateful for the worthy priesthood holder that he is and that he was able to give me blessings when I needed them. I know that the Lord was watching over my family, and me. Even with everything that was going on with me, there were no complications with either of my surgeries, and I returned to full health, and had a really speedy recovery. I am so thankful for caring people in my ward who brought meals to us. I truly am grateful for the awesome, amazing family I have. Thank you so much for all your help!!
2 comments:
Hilary! That is crazy! I'm so glad that you are feeling better and that Nicholas took back to nursing so well. That is seriously a miracle! Hope all is well.
I'm glad everything is back to normal. I was feeling so sad that you had to quit nursing, that is amazing that he took back to it. . . what a good little boy! lol.
I was in the hospital to have my gall bladder out five years ago, and it was dreadful. I finally decided after talking to a specialist that I would just change my diet instead. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that--- yuck. I was having flashbacks of attacks when you were describing it! Staying in the hospital is the worst. I'm so happy you got everything taken care of and had such great help too.
Post a Comment