On November 3, 2010 Nicholas had a really rough night and would only sleep if I was holding him. I was so tired so I laid in bed with him laying on top of me. I woke up that morning with a really sore spot on my boob and figured that I probably just had a plugged duct due to him laying on me all night. That day I tried every thing I could think of. I put heat on it, and tried to massage it out. Nothing helped. I was so tired that day, and was having a really hard time. It was on a Wednesday, which is one of Zac's longest days at school. Zac called to ask if I wanted to meet him at our friends house in Coalhurst so that he could see Nicholas and I during one of his breaks from school. I agreed and was so glad that I went. I was so cold the whole day, and didn't really think about it. That night I woke up to feed Nicholas and when I got back into bed I could not get warm, Zac put another blanket on me, and also made me take some tylenol. I woke up a couple hours later in a pool of sweat. In the morning I was still experiencing a lot of pain, and it was a lot more red. That afternoon I phoned and got in to see the Doctor (my step-mother works at the clinic I go to, so she got me in really quick). Sure enough I had mastitis, and I was put on antibiotics. While I was waiting to see the doctor the nurse came in and was asking me why I was there and what not. When I told her I thought I had mastitis, she got all preachy and told me that I would have to stop breast feeding, but I would have to pump and dump. I was so annoyed with her. I sat in the room for the next ten minutes getting so worked up, because I did not want to stop breast feeding, and was mad that she would even suggest that. When my doctor finally got to me he assured me that I could still feed him and put me on an antibiotic that was safe to use while nursing. I was pretty sore for the next couple of days but the antibiotics started working pretty fast, and I started to feel better.
On November 9, 2010 we had Nicholas 6 week check up!! At the appointment he weighed 13 pounds 3 ounces, and was 22.5 inches long. He is doing really well, and is pretty chunky. He has the sweetest rolls on his thighs! Every thing checked out at his appointment and we got more information about his inguinal hernia. Nicholas was born with a hernia on his right side. It was something that was missed in the hospital and wasn't noticed until one night when he was crying while getting his diaper changed and Zac noticed it. It's doesn't cause Nicholas any pain and we just watch it and occasionally have to push it back in, which is pretty easy. We did find out at our six week check that Nicholas might have another one on the other side. There is no way to confirm it expect by ultrasound. the only way to permanently fix this problem is to have surgery. When Nicholas is around six months old we will get the ultra sound, and referred to a Pediatric surgeon to get them fixed. I try not to think about it to much, because it freaks me out to think about my little 6 month old baby going in for surgery. He will still be so small. I know that it is something that needs to be done and that it will be fine. I'm just use to being on the other side of the situation, and I'm not sure how I feel about being the mom of a patient!!
No comments:
Post a Comment